Saturday, June 4, 2016

Coming to a close



This year is coming to a close and I believe that I learned more about math and teaching than I have ever learned before. I had the opportunity at lunch today to meet with some of my co-workers and we had an awesome professional development time over some amazing tacos. What amazed me was the number of students that participated in this casual professional development. We discussed how we could better reach our students and what would help to engage them to be more successful.

The seniors in my class have been processed out of school and will not be back until graduation. The underclassmen are nervous about passing the final and passing the class. Some students are content with just passing and others are anxious about not receiving 100% in the class.

I have had the pleasure of working with 250 students this year. I have some students that have challenged my patience and others that have motivated me to be a better teacher. They have been at so many different levels of proficiency and reaching them all has been an interesting journey.

I have been teaching Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 but the majority of my students have not been prepared for my class. The biggest concern is how do I fill in the holes. If they don't understand the basics before they come to high school, then they are not going to be able to understand what to do with the more difficult concepts.

So many of the students walked into class already afraid of math and thinking that is hard. My goal has been to make the math classroom a place where it is okay to make mistakes and that the mistakes are learning experiences. I love being in a classroom that is the gateway to all learning. #bestsubjectever #juli3<3smath

No comments:

Post a Comment